This week's spotlight is the first Beauty Pro Spotlight and it's a pleasure to feature June Smith founder and CEO of TAJJ Cosmetics, which is based in Toronto Ontario Canada. Below is our interview, enjoy!
1. What is you blog/website/venture called? Our website is TAJJ Cosmetics Our company provides cosmetic products specifically for women of color.
2. When and why did you start it?
I started my cosmetics company in the summer of 2009. After years of feeling self-conscious about the discoloration on my toes caused by corns. I developed my first product, The Incredible Corn Concealer, from the realization that women all over suffer from “corns” a podiatric ailment that not only causes pain, but is also unattractive.
I decided to create a concealer; a product that would provide that instant fix to the appearance of corns, yet one that offers a long lasting coverage, waterproof and last for up to 24hrs. In January of 2011, after overwhelming responses from customers about our product and the need for more products for women of color, we began intensive studies into ethnic skin care and launched our complete line of makeup. Developed and designed specifically for women of color.
3. What has been your most exciting and proud moments so far in your venture?
My proudest moment was developing the Incredible Corn Concealer. I was thrilled to see the product that I had created finally come to life. I was extremely proud that it was no longer a thought but developed into a product. Since our launch in January of 2011, we have been featured in several magazines and news media. Our products were also included in swag bags for film makers at the Real World Film Festival for held here in Toronto Canada.
I am Jamaican, so when I was featured in the Panache Jamaica magazine, I was very excited about that, as I know that my Jamaican family would be proud and excited for me and to know that I am doing amazing things here in Canada. Being honored as one of BBWO50 Fabulous Women Entrepreneurs in 2014 & 2011 is still one of my proudest moments. It is exciting to know that others acknowledge your hard work and recognize you for it. BBWO Network celebrates the accomplishments of women's innovative contributions, passion, hard work and dedication of women entrepreneursAnd finally, I am living in my moment of opening my first flagship store.
4. What growth and opportunities are you striving for during the rest of 2014 and in 2015 for this venture?
We opened our first flagship store in October 2013. Our goal is to continue to promote our brand. Our store is located in a new mall, so promoting our store is our priority. Our mission for 2015 is to focus on our next step. Our goal is to open our second and third store here in Canada in the coming years and to also expand our brand in the United States and Europe.
5. Where can my readers learn more about you and your work?
Information about our company can be found on our website http://tajjcosmetics.com . Our social media links are Twitter: TAJJ COSMETICS, Facebook: TAJJ-Cosmetics, Pinterest: tajj girl.
6. What are your 3 Fall beauty and skincare must-haves?
Every woman should have a good mascara, preferably TAJJ Cosmetics Eyedolize mascara, as our mascara was recently described by one celebrity fashion stylist and designer as one of the best mascaras she has ever used.
bright bold lipsticks are hot for the Fall. Every woman should have one in her purse. Red, purple and deep rich burgundy are perfect for the Fall. Gone are the dull days of Fall. Women are now embracing bright colours and you simply cannot go wrong with it no matter your skin tone.
Blush is also a must-have. It adds dimension and Enhances your best features. It also gives the illusion of having great cheekbones.
Taking proper care of the skin should be a priority for everyone, not just for women but also for men. A proper skincare regimen is important and is the key to having healthier looking skin.
1. Cleanser: Invest in a good cleanser. One that will remove impurities effectively and is gentle on the skin.
2. Exfoliating scrub is also important and should be done at least twice a week. Exfoliating removes dead skin and will help to reveal a new layer of skin.
3. Toner: Toning the skin after exfoliating will help to restore the PH balance. It will also help with removing the excess dirt and oil that remains after cleansing. It also hydrates and nourishes the skin.
7. What are the 3 resources every beauty professional needs to know about and use regularly? Beauty professionals need to understand and identify the skin undertone. Knowing the undertone is key to choosing the right shades of colour. Stay in the know, know what’s going on in the fashion world. We all know that beauty and fashion goes hand in hand and what you wear has so much to do with the makeup you are wearing.
Also know when to keep it simple. Makeup is fun, it changes everything about you. Makeup should be used to enhance the natural look, we all have something about us that we absolutely love, so it’s important to know and understand your best features.
8. Any closing statements or things you want to add that weren't discussed?
Thank you so much for the opportunity to spotlight me and my company. This opportunity will give readers more insight about TAJJ Cosmetics and our amazing products for women of color.
To all your readers and followers, continue to believe in yourself, follow your dream, your passion, be persistent, pray fervently and learn how to persevere. Don’t listen to the noise around you, listen to your heart, it is the voice of God.
It was a pleasure to feature June and I wish her the best and much success in her company!Below is a picture of her products including the Incredible Corn Concealer, to keep feet looking flawless!
What did you like about the interview? Let me know in the comments below.
Thanks for reading, take care.