As fashion stylists, we all hear about seasonal trends, fads and of course timeless fashion essentials. But there are other timeless essentials that are a must in any stylist's A-game arsenal. A lot is riding on your shoulders since you are an intern, assistant or newly appointed head stylist or freelancer. No matter what stage you're in, you're no doubt trying to build a long, successful career. Here are 5 timeless must-haves that will never go out of style and you should never be without.
1. Juice: And I'm not talking the kind in bottles! I'm talking about the portable battery recharging kind because you never want to have a dead phone, tablet or laptop. When duty and opportunities call you want to be able to rock and roll at a moment's notice.
2. Giving a Damn: A lot of people these days especially in the fashion industry have blasay attitudes about everything-- life, work, relationships, you name it. But having a care-less attitude gets noticed in the worse way possible. Be mindful, be on the ball, have your attitude right, your head on straight, be open to feedback and GIVE A DAMN!
3. Communication Skills: It's so important to express yourself well verbally, non-verbally and in writing in a timely fashion. Listening is also a super important communication skill. Learn and consistently practice all of these things and you'll be golden.
4. Personal Responsibility: No excuses, no whining, no lateness, no BS! Just own your actions, mistakes and missteps. They are all part of the journey and learning. Celebrate your triumphs, growth and lessons learned.
5. Business Acumen: YOU are your business and brand. Protect that with crafting the right professional persona. Professional behavior is an essential component of having good business acumen. Far too many people get sloppy and too comfy letting their mess hang out where it needs to be shored up and tidy. It's not like you have to be a pious saint but being an unprofessional jerk is no good either. There's a middle ground. Be fun, positive, keep things light, be receptive to and learn to exude good energy.
I've learned to come correct with a lot of these or just learned to do better as a rule. But we can ALL do better. I always include and remind myself that we are all works in progress as my mentor has pointed out for years.
What are some of your favorite personal development essentials? Anything that wasn't listed here? Let me know in the comments below.
Thanks for reading, take care.